I’m well into my cleanse and am feeling good! Well, most of the time that is… Today was a little tough actually – thoughts of coffee and chocolate just kept creeping into my mind! But it feels good to exercise discipline. And really there are so many tasty things that I do get to eat. Like this hummus crusted chicken. It’s a recipe I’ll definitely repeat, even after the cleanse. And it’s super easy!
2 boneless/skinless chicken breasts (local and free-range)
2 lemons, (1 sliced into rounds and 1 juiced)
1/2 cup hummus (you can buy it or use the quick and delicious recipe below)
4 fresh rosemary sprigs or 2 tablespoons dried
Generous drizzle of balsamic vinegar
Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
If you do choose to make the hummus, blend the following ingredients in a food processor:
1 can garbanzo beans (chickpeas), rinsed and drained
2 cloves garlic, peeled
Juice of 1 lemon
3 tablespoons tahini
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon paprika
1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
2. Place the chicken breasts in a small roasting pan, covering all exposed meat with the hummus (use a spoon or your hands, just make sure it’s layered quite thick, about 1/4”).
3. Scrunch each lemon half in your hand and then loosely arrange them over the chicken with the rosemary sprigs, broken into smaller pieces, so the flavor comes out more.
4. Generously drizzle the entire mix with lemon juice and then a quick drizzle of balsamic vinegar.
5. Bake until the hummus is golden brown and the meat is juicy and tender (checking with a knife to make sure it’s cooked all the way through), about 30 minutes.
6. Finish with another quick drizzle of lemon juice and an optional pinch of sea salt and black pepper to taste. And enjoy!